Friday, October 30, 2009

Set Me Free!

Scripture: Mark 5:19, "Go home to your family and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you."

Observation: This is one of my favorite stories in all of Scripture. It is the story of the demon possessed man. Here is this man whom nobody can keep chained. He lives among the tombs because noone wants to care for him, because he is too violent. He runs to Jesus and begs him not to torture him. Jesus then commands the evil spirits to come out of him and he sends them into a herd of pigs. The pigs then jump off a cliff. The man then wants to follow Jesus but he tells him "Go home to your family and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you."

Application: I find it interesting that Jesus tells this man not to follow him. By this time the crowds that are following Jesus are growing. He doesn't just have the 12, more people are traveling with him. This man wants to do the same, but Jesus tells him to go back home and tell them about what the Lord has done for him. Why does Jesus do this? I think this man must have been possessed for some years, maybe his family had not seen him in a long time. I think the point is that we are all called to different things. Jesus had called others to leave everthing they could to follow him. Yet, this man, Jesus calls to go home and share the gospel there. We all have a certain call on our lives and I believe that it is specific. None of us are here by accident and we must go and tell how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on us!

Prayer: Lord of hosts, Sovreign King and ruler of all. I confess that I am but a sinner in your presence. I thank you that you have shown mercy to me and have not left me where you found me. Father, give the strength this weekend to go and tell people how much you have done for me and how you have had mercy on me, Amen!

Set Me Free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXKa6mGrHg

No comments:

Post a Comment