Scripture: Mark 4:1-8, "Again Jesus began to teach by the lake. The crowd that gathered around him was so large that he got into a boat and sat in it out on the lake, while all the people were along the shore at the water's edge. He taught them many things by parables, and in his teaching said: "Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, multiplying thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times."
Observation: In this parable Jesus shares about sowing the word of the Gospel. He explains it as sowing seed on different soils. Some seed is placed on rocky soil, some scattered on the path, other in shallow soil, others in thorny soil. Then others were placed on good soil. None of the seeds grew in the soil except for the good soil.
Application: Nobody is the same, we are all different and we hear and understand things differently. We all have different lifestyles. Life has treated us all differently. It is not our job as gospel messengers to worry about what type of "soil" people are. It is our job to share the word and sow the seed of the gospel. It will take root and accomplish what the Lord wants it to. If the soil is not ready it won't grow, but if the soil is ready then it will grow and multipy thirty, sixty even a hundred times.
Prayer: Lord Almighty, you are Lord of heaven and earth, creator of all. I confess that I worry about what soil I am planting seed. It is not my place to worry. It is my job to trust you, share the gospel and let you do see it grow. I thank you for the gospel and its power in my life and the life of others. Help me today to share the gospel not only in my words but in my actions, Amen.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Zach,
ReplyDeleteI loved this post. I work with a youth group and am constantly evaluating who I should be pouring into so that I get the most out of my investment. How incredibly awful of me! You totally made me think twice about how I interact with the youth that I work with. Thank you so much for your observations and careful considerations.
Betsy
betsy@calledtoyouthministry.com