Monday, October 12, 2009

Looking at the Clouds

Scripture: Acts 1:7-8, 10-11, "He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth...They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."

Observation: Jesus had fulfilled his earthly ministry and is now giving it over to his disciples to carry out until he returns. He has promised them that the Holy Spirit will give them power to complete the task set before them. They are to be witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and the ends of the earth. When he ascends into heaven they stand looking at the sky and two angels tell them that he will be back.

Application: Isn't this us so many times. We know what Jesus has commissioned us to do, but we stand around looking at the sky wondering what in the world is going on. Yet, Jesus has just given us a task. We are to be about his business and we are standing around wasting time. Jesus will return and what will he think of us and the task he has left for us to do while he is gone. The task is to be witnesses for Jesus in Huntsville, Madison County, America and the world. We are even to be witnesses in places we don't like, to people that are not like us. Yet, we must remember that we are not alone. We have the Holy Spirit in us to give us the strength to carry out the task. May we run with endurance the race marked out before us. Keeping our eyes on Jesus the author and perfector of out faith. Lest he be disaapointed in us when he returns and finds that we have not done what he has asked of us.

Prayer: Lord, you alone are worthy of all honor and glory. I confess that more times than not I do my own thing and not what you have asked me to do. I know so many times I am not doing the task that you have called me to do. I can be a witness with my mouth but I must also be a witness with my life, and I know I don't always accomplish that. Father I thank you that you have given me the Holy Spirit to give me strength to do something that is bigger than me. May you be pleased when you return and find me doing the task when you return. Not having just started but be doing it all along, Amen.

Heaven on My Mind:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjNm7n842x4

No comments:

Post a Comment