Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Gift of God

Scripture: Acts 8:20, "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!"

Observation: Peter and John have been going around and proclaiming the good news about Jesus. In this one city there was a scorcerer named Simon. He saw Peter and John lay hands on a man and give him the gift of the Holy Spirit. Simon, asks them how much it will cost him to learn this kind of trick. I suppose that Simon thought these guys were a threat to his business and wanted to know how to do this so he could make all the money. But Peter rebukes him warning him that he cannot buy a gift from God.

Application: The Lord has given each and every one of us a gift. We cannot buy it or earn it. He gives them freely so that we can build up His Kingdom. 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 says, "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. We see here that they are given for the common good. If we all had the same gifts, what good would that do? It's just like our body, each part serves a different purpose. We all must find our purpose in the Kingdom of God and go out and do it well.

Prayer: Lord, you alone are worthy of all glory, praise and power. I confess that many times I trust myself and not trust your Holy Spirit to guide me. Father I confess also that I don't always use the gift that you have given me well. I thank you for the gifts and talents that you have given me. May I hone and learn to use them well. It is all for your glory, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment