Scripture: Job 1:20-21, "At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.
Observation: This is one of the most famous passages that is used when we talk about suffering. Yet, it is also one of the best passages to use when talking about worship. In this passage Job is referred to as "blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil." Notice it says that he feard God. Because he feared (worshipped) God, the Lord had blessed him greatly. The scripture doesn't say that because the Lord blessed him Job feared him, no it puts his fear of the Lord before the list of all the stuff the Lord has blessed him with. Therefore, when Satan claims that Job will curse God if he takes away all the junk, Job can truly say from the joy in his heart "may the name of the Lord be praised".
Application: Can I say that? I'm not sure how I would react. I guess by not being sure that shows my heart. Worshipping God is not about how much stuff he gives us, its about Him (period). That means, no matter what happens in our life whether good or bad, worshipful praise should always be on our lips. I'm not asking for the Lord to take away everything I have, neither was Job. It is ok to enjoy the blessings of the Lord. I'm just saying that we (I) cannot allow that to get in the way of our relationship with the Lord. He is the source of our joy, not the junk he blesses us with.
Prayer: Lord, you are worthy of all glory and honor! I confess that I get distracted by the blessings of life, and not focus on you who have provided them. Lord, I thank you for my life and all that you have done for me and allowing me to be in a relationship with you. May I never forget that, may your praise be ever on my lips no matter what. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with me and "blessed be the name of the Lord", Amen
Blessed Be Your Name:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cyqn2LxKVk
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment