Thursday, October 8, 2009

The End of the Age

Scripture: Luke 21:34-36 "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

Observation: Most of this chapter in Luke Jesus spends talking with his disciples about the end of the age. He talks about the many things that will happen before the end of the age. Many of these things have already happened or are happening now. I am not trying to be a prophet and say that Jesus is coming back in a week. But I am saying that with every passing day we are getting closer and closer to that time. We must be ready and watchful. In the verses I chose it says to be careful or your hearts will be weighed down. Sometimes it seems like forever will pass before Jesus comes back. This world will get progressively worse until that time comes. It can be very disheartening if we always focus on how bad this world is getting. Yet, Jesus says don't let that weigh you down. Don't igonore it, but look forward to a time when sin will be no more.

Application: We have a job to do before that time comes. Jesus has given us the task of "making disciples of all men...and he is with us always even to the end of the age". We can't allow the burdens of life to stop us from being about our Father's business.

Prayer: Father, you alone are worthy of all honor. I confess that many times I allow the burdens of life to weigh me down. I thank you that you are not leaving this world as it is forever. There are many evil things that happen in this world and I am responsible for some of those, but I am glad this age will not last forever. There is coming a time when every knee will bow and confess that you are God. There will be no more tears, sadness or sin. Lord, help me to be about your business until that time comes, Amen.

One Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5GcZC46VX4&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment