Scripture: Mark 12:41-44, "Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."
Observation: Jesus must have been the ultimate people watcher. A few sciptures record Jesus observing people's actions and then teaching his disciples a good lesson. This is one of those here. Jesus notices that some of the rich people came into the temple and placed large sums of money into the treasury as to make themselves look good. Then he notices that a poor widow puts in less than a penny and then tells his disciples that what she placed into the treasury was greater than the large sums. My first question is how does he know that this woman is a widow? He may have known her or assumed by her clothes, who knows. The point is that Jesus could tell that she was giving out of her heart as the others were not.
Application: For me the point of this passage is not that rich people are bad and poor people are good. The point is the matter of the heart. We all, no matter what our status in life, should give everything we have to the Lord. We can't hold anything back. I have a quote here on my desk that I heard from a radio program by Dr. Stephen Davey he says, "If we are holding back then we are not obsessed by grace." Jesus doesn't want out leftovers, he wants everything we have. He has given the grace to let go and let him use our feeble attempts for his glory. The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart.
Prayer: Lord, you are worthy of all that I am. I confess that I don't always give you everthing that I am. I allow things to come in and take first place in my life. I thank you for your patient grace that allows me to come back. Father help me to be obsessed by your grace so that I can give you everthing with no holding back, Amen.
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment