Monday, November 23, 2009

Religion Saves?

Scripture: Matthew 15:8-9 "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men."

Observation: In this passage Jesus is being questioned about why his disciples don't wash their hands before they eat as is tradition. Jesus calls the teachers of the law on it and questions them as to why they trade God for tradition. They are so worried about keeps rules and not worried about knowing God.

Application: That is why I hate religion. Religion is a lie, it is about us trying to do our best to clean up, act right and earn God's favor. This can create what was prophesied by Isaiah, "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men." If we are religious, we look clean on the outside but on the inside we are just as corrupt as the next guy. I do this in my life. I forget about the cross and what it has accomplished in my life. I try and do my best to earn my way to God. When that happens I tend to stop trusting God and trusting myself and end up flat on my face. I am there all the time. It is not religion I am after it is a relationship with my creator and king.

Prayer: Lord, you alone are worthy of all honor, glory, praise and power. I confess that more often than not, I try and earn your favor. That is not why Jesus died on the cross so that I can be more religious. No he died so that I can be more righteous. Father, I thank you for the cross. It is only by grace that you came to die and redeem, justify, and sanctify me. So now I can say, "I honor you with my lips and my heart is ever near you, My worship is sweet and my teaching comes from the cross of Christ where grace flows like a mighty river, Amen.

Glorious Day:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw6Gj6FdGUk

No comments:

Post a Comment