Monday, November 30, 2009

Credited as Righteousness

Scripture: Romans 4:23-24, "The words "it was credited to him" were written not for him alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead."

Observation: Througout this section, Paul uses the phrase "credited to him". He quotes from Genesis 15:6 in verse 3: "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. This is why salvation by works does not stand up against the gospel. Scripture says over and over that salvation is a gift. Paul's says later in Romans 6 that "the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord".

Application: Salvation is a gift. I cannot earn it. I live sometimes as though I can earn it. Yet, I cannot. I am not righteous in and of myself, I cannot work for my salvation. No matter how hard I try, I will never be able. I must trust that the righteousness of Jesus is credited to me by God.

Prayer: Creator of the Universe, Jesus Christ. You alone are worthy of all honor, glory and praise. I confess that many times, I turn to my own righteousness to be sufficient. Yet, I know that it is only by your grace, Jesus, that I can be justified. I thank you for crediting your righteous to me, who has no chance apart from you to be in relationship with you. Give me the strength this morning to live my life cognisant of your grace, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment