Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Knowing God

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 8:1-3, "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. But the man who loves God is known by God.

Observation: Knowledge about God is good, but knowing God is what it is all about.

Application: I love theology. I read books and listen to sermons and lectures on theology just for fun. I am looking forward to seminary so that I can learn more theology. Theology comes from two Greek words Theos (God) and Logos (Word), so theology is essentially a word about God. Theology is good, without we would be nowhere. It is the standard that we hold to about God. Everyone has their own theology: Baptists, Methodists, Catholics, Calvinists, Armenians etc. We can acquire and possess vast knowledege about God, but if we don't know God we've missed it. According to 1 Corinthians 8:2, we don't know as we ought to know. The point of life is not knowing about God, plenty of people know about God and have their own opinions about him and are not afraid to let you know. Yet, the real point of life is knowing God and God knowing us. Verse three says it best, "the man who loves God is known by God". Good theology is not meant to explain God, it is meant to draw us closer to God as we attempt to know him more.

Prayer: Father, you are infinite and there is no way I can know everything about you. I confess that I know a lot about you and don't know you as I ought. I thank you for theology because it draws me closer to you. Lord, help me today to use theology to draw me closer to you, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment