Scripture: Matthew 20:26-28, "...whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
Observation: In this passage James and John's mom comes to Jesus and asks if her sons could sit at Jesus' right and left hand. She being like any good mother, she wants to make sure that her sons are being taken care of. Jesus then asks them if they can drink the cup to which they reply, yes! He then tells them the secret of greatness. He told them that if they wanted to be great then they must be a servant.
Application: This is so true, but it is not the "American Way". We live our lives in such a way so that we can served. We go to restaurants and expect to be served like the waiter is our servant. In our culture we are told that if we want to be great then we have to knock people off the latter as we climb up. It is very much a dog eat dog mentality. If you want to be first, then who are you going to shove out of the way to get there? Yet, that is not the way Jesus tells his disciples or us how to be great. He tells us the opposite, that if we want to be great then we get into some old clothes get out there and serve others. It is most definately not a boys job, it takes blood, sweat and tears. We may never be "great" on earth, but if we are to the King of kings and the Lord of lords then that is all that matters. We should not be happy that demons submit to us, but that our names are written in heaven.
Prayer: Father, you alone are great. You are the first and the last, the beginning and the end. I confess, that many times I don't serve others. I get caught up in the American Dream that I forget that to really be great I must serve. Life is not about consuming and enjoying, it is about knowing you. I thank you for Jesus, who is the ultimate example of being a servant. He is God who left his throne in heaven and was crucified so that I may know you more! Father, today give me the strength to serve and not want to be served. I give my life to you today, Amen.
To Serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkRdj9L3wyE
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment