Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What Color is the Carpet?

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 10:23-24 & 31, '"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others...So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

Observation: Paul here is settling little disputes that sounds a lot like many churches today. We all argue over what color the carpet is. Here it was can I eat what is unclean? Paul reassures them that it is ok if they eat something that is "unclean" with an unbeliever. He gives his famous speech about "I have become all things to all men so that I might by all means save some". It doesn't matter anymore, the point it spreading the gospel. He settles it by saying "whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

Application: When I was in High School I was in a band. We wanted to be a hip Christian Rock/Praise Band we deliberated for hours and came up with the name Cor 10:31. We had read this verse and liked it. The funny thing about it was we broke up not even a year later because we couldn't agree on who would be the lead singer. We certainly didn't glorify God in our arguments. Anyway, I suppose we sounded a little like the church of Corinth to Paul. They couldn't agree on things, neither could my band. All that matters is God. It doesn't matter what we do as long it glorifies God.

Prayer: Father, you alone are worthy of all glory and honor. I confess that I don't give you glory where it is due. Father, I thank you the opportunity to spread the gospel and I pray that I can do everything for your glory, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment