This morning I didn't read the passages from enewhope.org. I watched a video sermon from Pastor Mark Driscoll at Mars Hill Church in Seattle, WA. It was the seventh part of a sermon series called Religion Saves and Nine Other Misconceptions. The topic was dating: http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/religionsaves/dating
Three Hard Questions:
1. How is your relationship with Jesus?
2. Are you believing any cultural lies?
3. Do you accept that marriage is not just for happiness but for holiness?
Four Ways for a Dating Relationship:
1. Prearranged Marriage
2. Courtship
3. Non-Christian Dating (Not Reccomended)
4. Christian Dating
Application: This message hit home for me as I am in a relationship for the first time in about 3 years. I am ever thankful for Bridget. But I have some responsiblities to God and her. First I am to be completely satisfied with Christ because no girl can satisfy my needs and desires, only Jesus can. Secondly, I am to honor her and learn to love her as Christ loves the church. Thirdly, during this time of dating I am to prepare myself for possible marriage by learing to be on my own so that I will be able to provide for her and a family. This is spiritually, emotionally, physically and financially. I have a ways to go to prepare for this, but with God's grace I can.
Prayer: Father, you alone are worthy of all honor and only you can satisfy the desires of my heart. I confess that I look other places to satisfaction and not to you. I thank you for the example of Christ loving the church and laying his life down for her. Lord, I ask for the grace to prepare myself to a marriage relationship someday. I don't deserve you let alone a relationship with a woman. You are more than enough, but I thank you for the blessing of my relationship with Bridget. Help me to honor her, love her and be the man that you have called me to be, in Jesus name, Amen!
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for this entry, Zach! It is very relevant to me even though I am not in a relationship right now. I need to do all those things to ready myself for when I do find someone. I think it can be even harder for a woman to take your advice and learn to rely on God above all things and people. We have been told from an early age that we need a man, boyfriend, or husband to be complete. Of course, that's not true; all we need is God!
ReplyDelete