Scripture: Matthew 4:18-22 "As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him."
Observation: I see one thing here and every time I read an account about Jesus calling his disciples I see it and wonder why I don't do the same. One word makes the difference for me, Immediately. That word means a whole lot. They didn't say, hang on a second let me finish what I'm doing and then when I have time I will follow you. No, they literally dropped what they were doing and followed a man that they probably barely knew.
Application: Jesus calls me to do the same. Yet, I exercise my will as an American to do it my way and tell God to hang on a second lets do it when its convient for me. That is not the way the life of a disciple works. We are Christ's servants and we should do what he asks and calls us to when he says so. I wouldn't tell that to the President. If Obama called me to come to the White House because he needed me to do something, I wouldn't say hang on, March is a better time for me let's do it then. No I would go. So why would I do it for the President and not for Jesus? Immediate obedience is obedience. Delayed obedience isn't really obedience. So if I count how many times I delay obedience to God, then I'm relaly being disobedient which is not the life that Christ has called me to. By the power of the Holy Spirit I can obey when God calls. It is only by his grace and strength. If it worked for Peter, James and John why can't it work for me?
Prayer: Almighty Creator, you are mighty above all. I confess that many times I delay obedience to you which is really disobedient. Father I repent of that and want to say Yes to Jesus. I thank you for the cross. By the power of the Holy Spirit I can be obedient even when I normally couldn't be. Lord, help me today to be obedient to you and live in the newness of life in Christ, Amen.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment