Thursday, November 12, 2009

We Need Each Other

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 & 21-26 "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men...The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it."

Observation: Paul reassures the church at Corinth that they are one body and that they must work together to see the work of Christ done.

Application: We need each other. It is as simple as that. The Christian life is not meant to live alone. I hear people say that I don't need church to have a relationship with Jesus and truth be known we do. My relationship with Jesus is personal yes, but I need other believers to challenge me and keep me accountable to growing in my faith. The people who say they can love Jesus and not go to church are people who don't want to live an accountable life. The true Christian life is hard and we can get hurt by it. We hurt each other, that's just part of it. If we don't want to get hurt then don't play the game. Each one of us must work together to see the work of Christ done. It takes each of us, no body sits the bench. If you think about it, even God is a God of fellowship and accountability. We call it the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God has perfect fellowship and is not alone. In the garden the Lord said that it was not good for man to be alone. We do need each other and must learn to work together.

Prayer: Father, you are triune and have perfect fellowship in yourself. I confess that many days I don't have perfect fellowship with my brothers and sisters. Lord I need other people to keep me accountable to love and grow with. I thank you for fellowship and the love it brings when it is done right. Father help me today to live in fellowship with my brothers and sisters as I live in fellowship with you, Amen.


We Need Each Other:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hySeiOTKVyw

2 comments:

  1. Zach,

    I was wondering if you might be interested in contributing some of your blog posts to the resource library for the website of the ministry that I am working with (www.calledtoyouthministry.com). I really enjoy your perspective and thoughts on scripture and think it would be great for them to be in a place that others could read and benefit from them.
    You can contribute by clicking on the contribute tab on the main site, and you can view the resource library by clicking on the resource tab on the main site.

    If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Otherwise, keep up the amazing work and thank you for your writing!

    God bless,
    Betsy

    betsy@calledtoyouthministry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Zach. I've been one of those people that thought I was good to go with just me and God but somewhere along the way he showed me that we do need each other.

    ReplyDelete