Thursday, November 5, 2009

New Motives

Scripture: Galatians 1:10 "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

Observation: In this letter to the Galatians, Paul shares a little of his personal testimony. He talks about his past life as a Jew and his new life in Christ. He shares about his conversion and how he met the apostles and learned from them. He then shares this bit of information about his new motives as to why he does what he does. He says that he is no longer trying to win the approval of men, nor please them. For if he was still trying to please men he wouldn't be a servant of Christ. If we try to please man we cannot please God, and if we try and please God we will not please man. We cannot do both. Just as Joshua proclaimed "Choose this day whom you will serve as for me and my house we will serve the Lord".

Application: As a follower of Christ we have new motives as to why we do the things we do. We have a new heart and are not trying to please ourselves or others. Our sole focus in life should be to please Christ and bring Him glory. If that is not our aim we will never be satisfied with our life. For he is the only thing on earth that matters, everything else is icing on the cake.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, you reign above all. I confess that the aim of my life is not always to please you. So many times I worry about what other people think or I try and please myself. Yet, if I am your servant my aim should be to please you. I thank you for your patient grace that allows me to try other things and realize that you are all that matters. Lord, may the words of mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to you oh God my rock and my redeemer, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment