Scripture: Psalm 63, "God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you;my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. But those who seek to destroy my life shall go down into the depths of the earth; they shall be given over to the power of the sword; they shall be a portion for jackals. But the king shall rejoice in God; all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped."
Observation: The header of this Psalm says: "A Psalm of David, When He Was in the Wilderness of Judah". This psalm was written by a fugative. The account is most likely from 1 Samuel 23, where David and Sauls men are on either side of a mountain and neither army knows that and David gets away. In this Psalm I see David remembering what the Lord has done for him the past, and we see him thankful for what God will do in the future. He then expresses his need for the Lord and he expresses that only in God can he be satisfied. David is confident that his enemy (Saul) will be destroyed one way or the other. Later in 1 Samuel, we find that to be true.
Application: I love this psalm, but I don't know if I would be as worshipful when I am being pursued by my enemy. Yet, I need to be. Worship is a great way to defend against temptation. Many times I find my self in a dry and weary land, a desert. Yet, if I find my self in that situation I know who can get me out. I don't always remember the past and see where God has brought me from, and I don't rejoice in the future, worry about it. Jesus is my only one who can satisfy me, yet I turn to other things to find it. I must come to the point where Jesus is my only source of safisfaction and fulfillment. With the grace of God I am getting there.
Prayer: God, You are my God earnestly I seek You, oh my soulI thirst for You my body aches in a dry and weary land. I’ve seen You in Your sanctuaryI beheld Your pow’r and shouted glory my soul is full, my lips will sing Your praise, Amen!
Holy One:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NrjtPAFjco
Friday, November 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment