Sunday, September 27, 2009

Written in Heaven

Scripture: Luke 10:17-20 "The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name." He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

Observation: In this passage, Jesus sent out 72 disciples to spread the good news of the kingdom. Earlier he had sent out only the 12. When they return they are filled with joy about how successful they thougth they were. They said to Jesus "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name." Yet, what he says in response was probably shocking to them. They are probably thinking, "I Got the Power!!!" But Jesus said to them, ..."However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." What? "We just sent some demons packing and we are to rejoice that our names are written down in some book in heaven?" Yes!

Application: I know that so many times in my life I base my relationship with God on my successes. Like, did I read my Bible and pray today? Check. Have I shared Christ with anybody today? Check. I even base it on what I'm learning about Scripture. Example "What is Penal Substitutionary Atonement?" Penal: There was a penalty that had to be paid. Substitutionary: Someone took my place to pay the penalty for me. Atonement: Being at one with God. It basically means that Jesus died in my place for my sins so that I can be at one with God. My point? I can be excited that I know big churchy words and know what they mean. I can even read my Bible, pray and share Christ but that is not what really matters. What really matters is that God loves me and wants to know me intimately, He sent Jesus to come to earth to die in my place for my sins so that I can be at one with Him. And he has written my name in the Lambs book of life. That is what should make me excited. Yes it is great to serve God and to know a lot about Scripture, but my joy should come from knowing Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Prayer: Jesus, your name is above every name. Every knee will bow and tounge confess that you are Lord, to the glory of God the Father. I confess that so many times I base my relationship with you on my own merit and not Yours. I thank you that my relationship with you is not based on my love for you but your love for me. Help me today to rejoice in the fact that my name is written in heaven, Amen!

In Christ Alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alm6YWm-zfc&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment