Scripture: Luke 12:4-5, 11-12 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him...When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, 12for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say."
Observation: The title of this section of scripture in my Bible is called "Warnings and Encouragements". We are getting close to halfway in the gospel of Luke and Jesus is getting close to his ultimate death. He is taking time now to give warning and encouragement to his disciples for what he knows they will face in the future. He knows that because of him they will face death. And he is telling them not to fear death, because the worst thing anyone can do to them is kill them. Yet, that is not to be feared, that is not the end. He encourages them to fear the Lord and trust him.
Application: I tend to lose my focus in life. With class, work and even ministry work I can lose focus and get caught up with everything I have to do. So many times I worry about what other people think about me and lose sight of what I know God already thinks about me. I know that God has called me to His work and that may end in the same way it did for the disciples, who knows. I must be ready for that if that is what it comes to. Here in America we don't have to worry about dying for our faith. We have it handed to us. Yet, in some ways I think it is harder to be a Christian in America than it is anywhere else in the world. Yes, it may be easier to become a Christian in America, but it is hard to truly live as one. We have too many distractions. Yet, we must be ready for wherever this path takes us.
Prayer: Lord, you alone are worthy of my all. I confess that many times I don't fear you, I fear other people around me. I thank you for being my fortress in times of trouble and to know that the worst anyone can do to me is kill me. That is not the end. Give me the strength today to live with this in heart and confess you no matter what the outcome may be, Amen.
A Mighty Fortress:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk8U58vfOoc&feature=PlayList&p=965911F5FE6E270C&index=19
Another cool video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ9iHzORHWQ
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment