Scripture: "How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you" (Psalm 84:1-2, 10, 12).
Observation: In this psalm the writer realizes that being with God is better than anything on heaven or earth. There is nothing that compares with knowing God. His soul yearns to be in the presence of the Lord. He says that it is better to spend just one day in the presence of the Lord than a thousand anywhere else.
Application: I have to admit that I don't always yearn to be in God's presence like that. I know the Lord in a personal way, but I don't faint and long to be in His presence as much as I need to. Maybe I'm just distracted and need to get my priorities in check. I long to get to the point to where all I care about is God and knowing Him more. Just as Paul wrote in Philippians 3:8-9, "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith." That is my prayer.
Prayer: Lord, you alone are worthy of all honor, praise and glory. I confess that I don't long to be in your presence as I ought. Father I thank you for your love for me and that our relationship is based on your love not mine for you. Help me today to long to be in your presence, as uncomfortable as that might be. Amen.
Better is One Day:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VdUiKagWjU
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment