Scripture: Daniel 5-6
Observation: These are the passages of the writing on the wall and the famous lion's den story. In chapter 5 King Belshazzar uses the cups and dishes from the temple as his own to eat and drink from. Then a mysterious hand writes something on the wall that seals his doom. Yet the only one who can interpret it is Daniel. By this time in the overarching story, Daniel is probably in his 3o's. He had been taken captive while in his late teens early 2o's. King Nebuchadnezzar had made him head of all the magicians because of his ability to interpret dreams. So now Nebby's son Belshazzar needs Daniel to interpret it. As the story goes Belshazzar is killed and Darius is made king. Daniel is made a president under this king and quickly rises to the top and the others look for a way to get rid of him. The only way for them to figure this out is a ridiculous law stating that if anyone worships any other god but the king will be killed. Well, Daniel goes to his living quarters to pray about the situation and is found out. He is then thrown into a lion's den. The king doesn't like it because Daniel is his best leader and looks for a way to rescue him. Early the next morning Darius goes to the den and finds Daniel still alive. Ironicly Darius throws the people who tried to get Daniel killed into the den and they are eaten alive.
Application: This story can be applied to our lives in so many ways. The biggest for me is Daniel's character. Daniel is a captive in a foreign land, yet he doesn't allow that to stop him. He just lives his life for his God and allows the Lord to do the rest. He doesn't complain and get mad, he simply lives his life. He understands that God can use him any where even in captivity, just as Joseph did in prison. Even though things don't always go as I want them to, I need to just allow God to use me no matter what. I need to allow my character to show through in any circumstance. It is when we are under stress that our true character shows.
Prayer: Lord, you alone are worthy of the honor, praise and glory. I confess that many times I complain about the cituation I am in instead of allowing you to use me through it. Father, I thank you that you are God and that you love me even though I don't always love you. So many times I get distracted and don't live for you. I am thankful that my relationship with you is not based on my love for you but your love for me. Lord, help me this day to live a life that is worthy of being called a son of living God. May my life reflect your glory, Amen.
Fame by Rush of Fools: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxft8N_Jeis
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment