Scripture: Daniel 3-4, Psalm 81, Revelation 17
Observation: "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered and said to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up...And the satraps, the prefects, the governors, and the king’s counselors gathered together and saw that the fire had not had any power over the bodies of those men. The hair of their heads was not singed, their cloaks were not harmed, and no smell of fire had come upon them. " (Daniel 3:16-18, 27)
Application: Daniel 3 is the famous story of the fiery furnace. I always think of this story as if God told them to get into the fire and that he would deliver them. However, that is not the case. Rack, Shack and Benny had no clue how God would deliver them, but they trusted him to do so. All they new was that they couldn't worship any other god besides YHWH. That was their conviction and they were sticking to it. They new that they were meeting an instant horrific death because they didn't want to worship the golden statue. Thier faith was so strong in God that they new that he would deliver them one way or the other. Listen to what they say..."we have no need to answer you in this matter. If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up." They new that even if God didn't keep them from being burned that death would be delieverance and they would be free from the life in Babylon. I love the faith of the bold text. "But if not, be it known to you, O king that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image..." It's almost like they are saying "Go ahead and throw us in that furnace, we aren't afraid of you. Even unto death we will go, but we WILL NOT worship your god." Do I have that much faith to worship and serve the Lord even unto death? I hope so, but if asked today my answer would be, no.
Prayer: Lord, you alone are mighty, awefull and worthy of upmost praise and honor. Your dominon is an everlasting dominion and your kingdom endures from generation to generation. I confess that I don't trust you enough right now to serve you even unto death. That is my desire to get there, where I don't fear death. Jesus you died for me and the least I can do is live for You. I confess that that is not always my mission and focus. I thank you that you are who you say you are. Your mercy allows me to be who I am in you. Thank you for your love and patience with me when I go my own way. Lord, give me the strength today to trust you and live for you. Help me to know that serving you is a lifetime commitment even unto death. Nothing can separte me from your love. The only thing that anyone on this earth can do to me is kill me. If that happens then I will be with you forever and there is nothing better than that, Amen.
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great! Bonus points for the Veggie Tales reference! :)
ReplyDelete