Monday, September 21, 2009

Living and Active

Scripture: The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread."
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone (Luke 4:3-4).

The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, "I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. So if you worship me, it will all be yours." Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only (Luke 4:5-8).

The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down from here. For it is written: " 'He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. Jesus answered, "It says: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test (Luke 4:9-12).

Observation: This is the famous account of the temptation of Jesus. It is only recorded in the synoptic gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke. Matthew and Luke give similar accounts, but Mark only dedicates two verses to the story. Yet Luke 4 is probably the most famous passages regarding the temptation of Jesus. What we have here is Jesus out in the wilderness being tempted by the devil for forty days. After that the devil is not done, he seems to "wear down" Jesus and saves his best for last. Yet, Jesus does something to counter act each of the three temptations. After the devil tempts him, Jesus uses God's Word as a weapon to fight off the temptation. He is defending himself by using scripture. Hebrews 4:12 says, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." I think Jesus understood that and knew that he could use it to ward off the temptations.

Application: How does this apply to my life? Well I could take some advice from Jesus' example and use God's Word as a tool to ward off temptations. I know that I fail at this terribly. When I am tempted I tend to trust myself and use my own strength. Every time I do that I end up falling flat on my face and giving in to the temptation. I need to learn how to use the weapon that God has intrusted to me, The Bible, and use it well. The only way to know how to use it is to study it and practice with it. By reading scripture daily, I get to know it well and when the time comes to fight, I am ready to use my weapon and can use it correctly and win the battles of temptation.

Prayer: Lord, you alone are worthy of honor and praise. I confess that many times I use my own strength during temptation. I thank you for your Word that is living and active sharper than any double edged sword. It can cut deep to the heart, not only in battle but in my own life. Father use your Word to cut deep into my heart and show me where I need to be more like you. Help me to study the weapon that you have given me, The Bible, and to know it well. Not just so I can use it during temptation but so that I can know You, the author, more intimately, Amen.

"The Word is Alive": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukMix2pUpPo

2 comments:

  1. That's a good point. I don't know if I've ever thought about using the Bible to overcome temptation. I'll have to try it.
    I love the videos every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Zach. I really like what you said about this scripture. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete